Explore the latest news and trends  

Sign up for our weekly security newsletter

Be the first to receive important updates on security


Flooded Inboxes: 84% of All E-mail is Spam

The ratio of spam mails being sent is at an all time high. Statistics show 84% of all e-mail is spam, leaving only 16% of all processed e-mails as legitimate.

"We have seen the ratio of spam mail to legitimate e-mails steadily increasing over the past 2 years, and it has now reached an all time high. It is unacceptable the amount of spam mails being sent" stated co-owner, and co-founder of SPAMfighter, Martin Thorborg.

Spam is any unsolicited e-mail sent to a users account. With such a large number of spam mails compared to regular e-mail, users spend hours sorting through spam and legitimate e-mails. Spam mails are not merely a nuisance.

The newest kind of spam, animated spam, is especially a burden to servers and inboxes because they contain multiple gif images, which are very large and take up a lot of memory space. This type of spam absorbs bandwidth on servers causing e-mail servers to run slower. It also takes up more storage space in inboxes, causing many to reach their capacity very quickly, having the user miss out on legitimate e-mails which cannot be delivered due to the lack of memory space.

Spam can also be dangerous. The number of phishing e-mails being sent has also reached an all time high. Phishing e-mails are scam mails where the author poses as an actual firm, such as a bank, by creating a very credible looking e-mail and directing the recipient to an exact replica of the bank website. Phishers attempt to get the reader to go to their website and give out personal information, such as bank account numbers, and passwords. http://www.spamfighter.com/phishing.asp [Read more about phishing here]

The high ratio of spam is increasing, and e-mail users worldwide are being affected by these unwanted and unsolicited e-mails. These statistics were produced by SPAMfighter ApS. SPAMfighter draws its power against spammers from a community of over 1.7 million users located in 213 countries around the world.

SPAMfighter is Europe's leading spam filter developer. The Danish company is owned by the founders of Jubii.dk, Henrik Sørensen and Martin Thorborg, together with two programmers, Daniel Hjortholt and Martin Dyring. SPAMfighter employs 25 people and is based in Copenhagen. SPAMfighter is debt-free and is 100 per cent financed by income from the sale of the SPAMfighter client. Each day, SPAMfighter removes around 9 million spam messages from 11 million tested emails received by over 1.7 million users in 213 countries/regions.
SPAMfighter draws its power from the fact that 1.7 million users report spam as they receive it, with a single click. Once several users have reported the same spam message, it is automatically filtered for all other users. The result is that 95 percent of all spam is filtered out before it reaches any given user.
For more information, contact Martin Thorborg, SPAMfighter ApS, Rovsingsgade 88, DK-2200 Copenhagen N, Denmark. Phone: +45 7022 1551 Fax (Europe): +45 3323 0376 Fax (USA) +1 (347) 341-4657

» SPAMfighter - 19-10-2006

3 simple steps to update drivers on your Windows PCSlow PC? Optimize your Slow PC with SLOW-PCfighter!Email Cluttered with Spam? Free Spam Filter!

Dear Reader

We are happy to see you are reading our IT Security News.

We do believe, that the foundation for a good work environment starts with fast, secure and high performing computers. If you agree, then you should take a look at our Business Solutions to Spam Filter & Antivirus for even the latest version of Exchange Servers - your colleagues will appreciate it!

Go back to previous page