Protection against email Phishing fraud and identity theft
What is Phishing attacks?
Phishing is the act of sending an email to a user falsely claiming to be a legitimate company in an attempt to scam the user into surrendering private information that will be used for identity theft. The email takes the user to a Web site where they are asked to update personal information, such as passwords and credit card, social security, and bank account numbers, that the legitimate company already has. The website, however, is a fraud and set up only to steal the user's information. For example, 2004 saw the proliferation of a phishing scam in which users received emails supposedly from Mastercard claiming that the user's account was about to be suspended unless he clicked on the provided link and updated the contact information and credit card information from their Mastercard. Because it is relatively simple to make a website look like a legitimate organizations site by copying the HTML code, the scam counted on people being tricked into thinking they were actually being contacted by Mastercard and were subsequently going to Mastercard's site to update their account information. By spamming large groups of people, the "phisher" counted on the email being read by a percentage of people who actually had a Mastercard.
Phishing, also referred to as brand spoofing or carding, is a variation on "fishing," the idea being that bait is thrown out with the hopes that while most will ignore the bait, some will be tempted into biting. To read more, click here.
Download SPAMfighter Free!
If you need protection against phishing, spam and identity theft for your home/office PC or you want to protect a server against phishing and spam, you have come to the right place.
- SPAMfighter Standard is 100% free for home users
- Award winning spam blocking technology
- Protects against "phishing", identity theft, and other email frauds
- Protects all the email accounts on your PC
- Automatic "real mail" protection - means no lost business mails!
- Blacklist and block domains and emails
- Spam Abuse Reporting with one click
- Automatic whitelist management
- Privacy Guaranteed - we don't see any of your email
- Does not filter based on simple phrases or "trigger" words. Allows any content
- English, German, Spanish, Chinese, French, Italian, Greek, Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian, Suomi, Russian, Bulgarian, Portuguese, Japanese, Thai, Czech, Turkish, Polish, Vietnamese and Danish