Explore the latest news and trends  

Sign up for our weekly security newsletter

Be the first to receive important updates on security


Security Infringements Happened Because of 49% Installed Malware

Verizon, on April 19, 2011, released its "2011 Data Breach Investigations Report" according to which, malware and hacking are again surging as the greatest threats while being nastier than anytime earlier. InformationWeek published this on April 19, 2011.

Notably the new paper deals with nearly 800 incidences that occurred during 2010, while consisting of those that the Dutch National High-Tech Crime Unit and the U.S Secret Service investigated. It discloses why data breaches occurred that involved 49% incorporated malicious software.

Furthermore, the report indicates that the majority of security breaches (83%) tended to be successful wherein the perpetrators utilized automated devices for performing their malicious tasks. The remaining 17% of assaults were personalized. The said statistics have significant relevance while taking into consideration the different kinds of hacked data. Moreover, malware attacks were the most common crime that cyber-criminals executed on organizations the report delineates.

Meanwhile according to the report, of all the malware incidences, 81% involved malware inserted remotely. This kind of malware infections reportedly occurred due to drive-by downloading or software vulnerability abuse, both indicating that the attacks were automated.

Some other interesting discoveries by Verizon are: 92% of security hacks accounted from outside sources marking a 22% rise since 2010 whereas 17% were due to internal hacks, a 31% decline since 2010; 50% of security incidences happened from hackings, 49% related to malicious software, and 29% involved a physical element.

Said principal for research and intelligence Alex Hutton at Verizon, the threat landscape had changed wherein organized crime was aiming at SMBs (small-and-medium sized businesses) within the USA. Cnet published this on April 18, 2011.

Hutton further said that the present circumstances had the con artists taking advantage of people who didn't put fundamental security measures in place while carrying out their small enterprises. The attackers executed automated assaults, chiefly seeking users whose vigilance was down, he added.

Nevertheless, the majority of security hacks needn't have taken place if fundamental not-so-costly security measures were adopted, the report outlined. Indeed, almost 66% of the malicious software assaults that Verizon investigated without taking into consideration the US Secret Service's statistics were tailored.

Related article: Securities Push Up A Must For Web Companies

ยป SPAMfighter News - 4/27/2011

3 simple steps to update drivers on your Windows PCSlow PC? Optimize your Slow PC with SLOW-PCfighter!Email Cluttered with Spam? Free Spam Filter!

Dear Reader

We are happy to see you are reading our IT Security News.

We do believe, that the foundation for a good work environment starts with fast, secure and high performing computers. If you agree, then you should take a look at our Business Solutions to Spam Filter & Antivirus for even the latest version of Exchange Servers - your colleagues will appreciate it!

Go back to previous page