Explore the latest news and trends  

Sign up for our weekly security newsletter

Be the first to receive important updates on security


AV Software Incapable of Aborting Data-hacks

According to one new study by Trustwave, most data-hacks occur due to personalized malware attacks when security software, like anti-viruses, fails to spot the threats.

Essentially during its research, Trustwave investigated some 300 data-hacks affecting a total of 18 countries, while its Spider Labs conducted 3,000 penetration tests in 2011. Consequently, it was found that during all the incidences, anti-virus programs failed to detect the malware allowing the threats to overpower the target organizations through their characteristic entries into an employee's computer.

In particular, 88% of the malicious programs that Trustwave separated managed in bypassing identification by all the AV programs put to test whereas the other 12% got caught although that happened, probably, after months of the threats getting utilized within attacks.

Furthermore, the Global Security Report of 2012 by Trustwave indicates that cyber-criminals' most-preferred attack industry is 'food-and-beverage.' Meanwhile, over 33% of probes by Trustwave SpiderLabs during 2011 were conducted into franchise businesses, prompting the company to predict that franchise-based industries are going to be the maximally endangered sector during 2012.

Additionally, Trustwave's research paper reveals astonishing discoveries of the password that worldwide businesses utilize most commonly along with any day's most dangerous time for viewing e-mail attachments.

Thereafter, Trustwave finds many-a-times that during data-breaches, the hackers of corporate networks simply get themselves straight inside as their targets don't use hard-to-crack passwords that could safeguard their corporate computers. For e.g., the company discovered that worldwide enterprises mostly used the password named "Password1" since it satisfied the complex requirements of Microsoft' Active Directory.

Consequently owing to this invisibility, businesses (84%) impacted realized that they'd been hacked only when an outside source like an associate partner, a regulatory agency, law enforcement, or maybe a member of the public alerted them. But, before the alert reached, the breach in the meanwhile had already occurred and remained for an astonishing 173-day period on average, with a few that went back years.

Notably, Percoco says, when criminals laboriously create malware, they don't let the programs go waste. Besides, these being targeted, anti-virus vendors can't see them till the time they'd been successfully utilized in any attack.

Related article: APE Tool for Apple Patches, Is Flawed

ยป SPAMfighter News - 2/17/2012

3 simple steps to update drivers on your Windows PCSlow PC? Optimize your Slow PC with SLOW-PCfighter!Email Cluttered with Spam? Free Spam Filter!

Dear Reader

We are happy to see you are reading our IT Security News.

We do believe, that the foundation for a good work environment starts with fast, secure and high performing computers. If you agree, then you should take a look at our Business Solutions to Spam Filter & Antivirus for even the latest version of Exchange Servers - your colleagues will appreciate it!

Go back to previous page