Explore the latest news and trends  

Sign up for our weekly security newsletter

Be the first to receive important updates on security


Thousands victims of nation-state hackers, cautions Microsoft

In a caution to Web users Microsoft says that in 2018 state-sponsored hackers attacked alternatively hacked the accounts of almost 10,000 people. The large-scale software maker disclosed statistics wherein some 84% of the said attacks were targeted on businesses, whilst the rest 16% were aimed at personal electronic mail A/Cs. Consequently, it's clear how vastly state-sponsored attacks occurred, as also that a huge 1,600 personal A/Cs with Microsoft had been impacted due to hackers, not long back.

When Microsoft was delivering the news on July 17 in Colorado at a platform named Aspen Security Forum, the company stated that the figures were indicative of the considerable scale by which countries kept on depending upon cyber-attacks for influencing geopolitics, acquiring intelligence, alternatively attaining other goals.

Not strangely, the majority of impacted people from nation-state cyber-attacks happened to be enterprise users as also working from USA. As per Microsoft, its figures indicate that pro-democracy companies inside USA should be especially worried. Customer Security Chief Tom Burt at Microsoft states 95 percent of such assaults were aimed at US-based companies. www.forbes.com posted this, June 18, 2019.

Microsoft says the majority of the kind of assaults came from hackers located inside Russia, North Korea and Iran. Tom Burt who is Microsoft's corporate VP for client security and trust further states that the actors involved in the activity extensively are Strontium and Yttrium from Russia, Thallium from NK, and Mercury and Holmium from Iran.

APT 33 a gang of hackers operating from Iran that Microsoft has named Holmium was within Microsoft's cross-hairs earlier. Back during March, according to the company, this gang receiving sponsorship from Tehran seized corporate secrets while wiped out data within one hacking campaign spanning 2-yrs. After some weeks, Microsoft filed a law suit for acquiring certain restraining order vis-à-vis one other Iranian hacker gang called Phosphorus else APR 35. Twelve months back, the company similarly filed a suit against the Fancy Bear or APT 28 hackers from Russia that had allegedly interfered in the U.S presidential election of 2016.

As cyber-assaults remain active Microsoft predicts these would be utilized for particularly harming democratic processes.

» SPAMfighter News - 7/30/2019

3 simple steps to update drivers on your Windows PCSlow PC? Optimize your Slow PC with SLOW-PCfighter!Email Cluttered with Spam? Free Spam Filter!

Dear Reader

We are happy to see you are reading our IT Security News.

We do believe, that the foundation for a good work environment starts with fast, secure and high performing computers. If you agree, then you should take a look at our Business Solutions to Spam Filter & Antivirus for even the latest version of Exchange Servers - your colleagues will appreciate it!

Go back to previous page